This conference examined various aspects of identity in the late Ottoman empire.
Discussant: Ulrike Freitag (SOAS)
- Bülent Gökay (Keele), A quest for identity: the Kurds in the late Ottoman empire.
- Nelida Fuccaro (Exeter), The Yazidi Kurds of Iraq: tribe, sect and state in the late Ottoman period.
Discussant: Filiz Yenişehirlioğlu (Cambridge)
- Alexander de Groot (Leiden), The changing identity of dragomans in the 19th century.
- Kate Bennison (Cambridge), Prestige by association: Arabo-Ottoman legitimacy in North Africa.
- Ben Fortna (SOAS), Seizing the moral high ground: discipline and identity in late Ottoman schools.